Monday, January 1, 2007

A New Year - A New Blog


I have decided that in spite of the fact that the world does not need a new blog, I am going to start one anyway. It is officially 2007 and I have decided to carve out a little area in cyberspace to share my thoughts.

My intentions for this blog is that it be eclectic just as my interests are eclectic. First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ, so I hope to bring some reflections on what it means to live as a Christian in our world. I also have a great family. I am married to Susan and have two boys: Eli (age 3) and Luke (almost 6 months). I am constantly in the midst of trying to figure out what it means to be a husband and parent.

I am also a pastor. I currently pastor Ripley First Baptist Church in Ripley, TN where I have served for 5 1/2 years. As a part of this blog, I will be posting sermons that I preach in my local congregation. While pastoring Ripley FBC, I am currently pursuing my Ph.D. in Church Growth and Evangelism from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. Most of what is listed in my currently reading section will be reading required for the classes I am taking. Out of that experience will come many discussions and interesting questions.

Another large part of my life is sports. I am a native of West Tennessee and most of my passions in sports derive from growing up there. My favorite teams are the Tennessee Volunteers and St. Louis Cardinals. I am fortunate to have both of those teams win a championship in my short 30 years. I vividly remember watching each accomplish it (Cards in '82 and last October/Vols in '98). Although I root for those teams passionately, I am a fan of most sports. In fact, whenever a game is on the television at my house, Eli says "that's daddy's show".

My interests also include pop culture. Thanks to the wonderful invention of TiVo, I am able to watch shows like 24, Lost and Heroes.

My hope is that this blog will offer views and opinions on all of these subjects and more. And if you stayed with me to the end of this post, then maybe you will journey with me in 2007.

No comments: