Friday, February 23, 2007

Signing Up for Bridge Building



Last week Union University hosted a conference on Baptist Identity with a variety of speakers included in the program. One of those speakers was Thom Rainer, current President of Lifeway Christian Resources. I have known of Dr. Rainer for many years and have become even more interested in his work since I recently started a Ph.D. program that he helped to start. The more I know of Dr. Rainer, the more I realize that his is a voice that we desperately need in the Southern Baptist Convention.

In an article following the conference, Dr. Rainer called on us as Southern Baptists to begin building bridges among our various groups. He states,

I am part of a denomination that has many tracks, but few bridges. And if we don't start building some bridges quickly, God's hand of blessing may move beyond us.

Later he says,

I was and still am a firm supporter of the conservative resurgence. I knew we could not continue down the path we were headed. But it seems as if we can't stop fighting even though the battle for the Bible is over and won. I understand the risk I am taking by writing these words. But silence is not an option. I must be about building bridges.


I for one agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of the article and will gladly join Dr. Rainer in building bridges.

To read the full article, go here.

No comments: