Thursday, January 3, 2008

Looking Ahead to 2008


Well, since I have looked back at 2007, I thought it might be good to think about what interesting things are coming in 2008. And while it is a significant year for many reasons (i.e. Leap Year, the International Year of Planet Earth, the European Year of Intercultural Exchange, the International Year of the Potato [both my sons will be excited about that], and the International Year of Sanitation), it is also a year of great promise for the work God is doing in the life of our family. So here is my list of ten things about 2008 that excite me:

10. Summer Movies - During the Christmas break, I saw I Am Legend and National Treasure 2 on consecutive nights. And just to let you know - that means that I saw as many non-animated movies in 2 nights as I had seen in the previous 2 years. Both were good - but the previews of a couple of movies got me really excited about movies coming out this summer. I am most excited about Prince Caspian - the second movie in the great C.S. Lewis Narnia series. But I am also looking forward to the new Indiana Jones and the latest int he Batman series.

9. Vols, Cards, and Titans - I am a big sports fan and always look forward to the start of new seasons with my favorite teams. All of three of my favorite teams had interesting years in 2007 and have questions to answer in the year ahead. Who will be the new offensive coordinator at UT and will he know how to call off-tackle right? Will Crompton play to his ability? Will the BasketVols make it to a Final Four? Will Chris Lofton remember how to be the "dagger"? How will Colby Rasmus fair in CF? Who will be the Cards' 5th starter (or 4th or 3rd or 2nd or even 1st for that matter)? Will the Titans draft or acquire some WR help for Vince? All of these questions will be answered in 2008. Here's hoping for the best.

8. SBC in Indianapolis - It has been a few years since Susan and I have been able to attend the Southern Baptist Convention. This year we already have plans to go to Indianapolis. It ought to be an interesting year with a real election for President and other issues that are in discussion.

7. Cohort at Southern Seminary - By the time 2008 ends, I will only have two weeks of class remaining at Louisville in my PhD program. I am already excited about my classes in May as we talk about church planting, leadership, and the authority of Scripture. I look forward to seeing the guys again and being pushed intellectually and spiritually.

6. Olympics - I am a sucker for international competition. In the coming year, I will watch a lot of coverage of the Ryder Cup and other international competitions. But the event that I look forward to every four years will happen in China this year. The 2008 Olympic Games should be an interesting competition and forum for the world's largest nation. I look forward to hearing of the athletes and stories that will abound. I am also looking forward to hearing how Christians can impact the world in a place where Christianity is rapidly growing.

5. Election - Just as every leap year brings the Olympics, it also brings an election for President of the United States. With the shakeup that happened in Iowa, it promises to be a very interesting year as we approach November. I know that I will be checking out Rasmussen Reports on a daily basis to see where the candidates stand. Let's just hope for a clear winner this year.

4. Full-Year at FBCG - I am really excited about what God has in store for us here at First Baptist Church Goodlettsville. I truly believe that God has a great future here and look forward to seeing Him move in this year.

3. Eli Starts School - Somewhere around Monday, August 11, our oldest son will officially begin Kindergarten. There has been very little in my life that reminds me of how fast time flies as writing the above statement. In fact, I don't really know why I just put this on the list because I really don't want to think about it.

2. A House - At some point in the first part of the year, we are going to buy a house here. We have been living on the second floor of an apartment for over four months and are very much looking forward to having a home to call our own.

1. 10th Anniversary - This July 25 marks the 10th Anniversary of our marriage. In those 10 years, I have grown to love my wife on a daily basis. We have been blessed with two boys when we were told we might not ever have children. We have been privileged to pastor in two great churches. This July we hope to be able to get away to celebrate those ten years. While we will not make it back to where we took our honeymoon,I look forward to spending time with her as we celebrate what God has done in our lives over the past 10 years.

No comments: