Saturday, May 9, 2009

You Version 2.0


My favorite online Bible has traditionally been Bible Gateway, but I may have a new favorite. Lifechurch.tv has just released a new version of their online Bible community - YouVersion. What makes YouVersion different from other online Bible sites is the community aspects of the site. The developers are really trying to incorporate a community experience like Facebook or Twitter into reading and studying the Bible. YouVersion allows readers to make comments on passages or verses of Scripture. Those contributions can then be viewed by anyone. While on the surface, this seems like a great opportunity to share with one another exactly what God is communicating through His Word, I am concerned about the lack of doctrinal accountability inherent in such a model.

Other features I do like are the journaling and reading plan. These two functions allow you to follow a daily reading plan and then write your thoughts down about those passages. I could foresee churches using the site to read through the Bible together and commenting back and forth on the daily passages.

Check out the site and let me know what you think.

No comments: